Pretty packaging and lots of commercial advertising keeps you coming back for this “sanitizing air freshener” but do you know what you are breathing?
The EWG (Enviromental Working Group) conducted studies on Air Effects and created this list in order of their toxicity to humans:
• BHT – Known as a neurotoxin, endocrine disruptor, immunotoxicity, non-reproductive organ system toxicity, skin eye and lung irritator
• Acetaldehyde – Known to cause cancer, toxic to reproduction and development, immunotoxin, non-reproductive organ system toxin, skin, eye and lung irritator
• The type of “Fragrance” used in this product- it’s a neurotoxin, immunotoxin and allergen
• Propylene Glycol – Causes cancer, allergies, toxic to immune system, accumulates in the system, non-reproductive organ system toxin, is classified with “enhanced skin absorption” and irritates the skin, eye and lung
• 1,3-Dichloro-2-propanol – Carcinogenic (causes cancer)
• Methyl pyrrolidone – Toxin to reproduction and development, allergen and immunotoxin, non-reproductive organ system toxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• Alcohol denatured – Also disclosed in the ingredients of Febreze, it’s linked to cancer, developmental/reproductive toxicity, organ system toxicity and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• Butylphenyl methylpropion al – allergen, immunotoxin and and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• Ethyl acetate – linked to developmental/reproductive toxicity, neurotoxicity, organic system toxicity and and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• Geraniol – Linked to allergies, immunotoxicity, organi system toxicity and and skin, eyes and lung irritation
• Linalool – allergen, immunotoxin, and and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• Benzaldehyde – neurotoxin, and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• Diethylene glycol monoethyl ether – non-reproductive organ system toxicity
• Ethylhezanol – developmental and reproductive toxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• Hexyl cinnamal – allergen, immunotoxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• And way too many more….
You can find the EWG’s full report on the dangers of Febreze and other common cleaners here.
With so many of my friends pregnant, having babies or have had a new born it scares me to think about these products being used in their homes.
At SO we have an alternative! Try our Soap Orchard Room Sprays.
Derived from Soy and essential oils it is a safer alternative for getting ride of those awful oder molecules.
Stay Clean and Safe!